- UN human rights commissioner 'shocked' by NT detention footage
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is "shocked" by footage of alleged mistreatment of youth detainees as Indigenous groups remain undecided on whether they will cooperate with a royal commission.
- 'Shocked' Rudd claims Turnbull said he backed him for UN job
Former prime minister Kevin Rudd releases a series of letters in which he claims Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull promised to support his bid for the United Nations' top job as recently as December.
- Executed Indonesia prisoners took up to 15 minutes to die: priest
A Catholic priest who was at the Nusakambangan prison in Indonesia during the firing squad execution of four people says some prisoners took up to 15 minutes to die.
- Australia headed for recession 'as soon as next year'
Australia's credit binge will lead to a bust as soon as next year, with house prices to fall between 40 and 70 per cent and unemployment to rise sharply, Professor Steve Keen says.
- Indian sprinter who won landmark gender case heads to Rio
An Indian sprinter who made strides for female athletes who were born with excessive amounts of male sex hormones is heading to Rio. But not everyone is happy she is allowed to compete.
- Jason Day on fire at PGA Championship
Jason Day goes on a birdie streak to fly up the PGA Championship leaderboard after two rounds of his title defence.
- UN seeks control of controversial Russian 'death corridors' in Syria
The United Nations urges Russia to give it control of humanitarian passages out of the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo, which locals are reportedly calling "death corridors".
- Australia team safe after Rio Olympic Village fire evacuation
The Australian team evacuates its building at the Olympic Village in Rio de Janeiro because of a fire in the basement.
- Cricket's frustrations on show in Australia v Sri Lanka test
Cricket is uniquely a game of frustration, between the game and the world beyond, and in Kandy, these have been on full display, writes Geoff Lemon.
- Democratic Party hit by second cyber attack days after DNC email leak
Democratic Party officials say they have been targeted by a fresh cyber attack, similar to a breach at the Democratic National Committee that resulted in an embarrassing leak of party emails.
- Voice of Postman Pat dies aged 83
Ken Barrie, the man who voiced beloved animated TV character Postman Pat and famously sang the show's theme tune, dies aged 83.
- Prince's siblings to undergo genetic testing to strengthen inheritance claims
A Minnesota judge rules that the surviving siblings of the late pop star Prince must undergo genetic testing to strengthen their inheritance claims, as he dismisses claims from 29 other would-be heirs.
- Pope Francis makes silent visit to Auschwitz camp
Pope Francis walks silently through Auschwitz, beginning a historic visit to the former Nazi death camp.
- Wing found in Tanzania 'highly likely' from missing MH370
A piece of aircraft debris found in Tanzania is "highly likely" to be from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Australia's Transport Minister Darren Chester says.