- Iraqi army tries to take main Christian town near Mosul
The Iraqi army launches an operation to take Qaraqosh, a Christian town near Mosul, and the last major city stronghold of Islamic State in Iraq.
- Turnbull defeats Abbott in battle for party preselection reform
Former prime minister Tony Abbott's push to change the NSW Liberal Party's preselection processes is defeated with the state council instead unanimously backing Malcolm Turnbull's plan.
- Man believed missing after Opalton mine collapse
A rescue operation is underway in Central Queensland for a man believed to be missing after a mine collapse.
- More night parrots discovered in central-west Queensland
The discovery of more night parrots in a remote national park in central-west Queensland increases the known range of the world's most mysterious bird by four times, Australian Wildlife Conservancy says.
- 'Bleak' weekend for Melbourne as 'cold outburst' continues
Hail storms, heavy rain and gusty winds lash Victoria with Cox Plate racegoers in the firing line as a cold front crosses the state.
- Call for youth to be detained in Tennant Creek's prison work camp
Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion is pushing for an old cattle station near Katherine to be converted into a youth prison farm, but in Tennant Creek another option is gaining support.
- Wallabies thwarted again by record-breaking All Blacks
The Wallabies succumb to defeat against the All Blacks, who claim a record 18th straight Test win in a controversial Eden Park encounter.
- Workers seek $85m over alleged underpayment, bizarre workplace rituals
Thousands of young Australian workers are expected to join an $85 million class action against the sales and marketing giant Appco Group Australia, amid allegations of underpayment and bizarre workplace rituals.
- Woman dead, man critical after falling from building
A woman dies and a man is rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries, after the pair allegedly fall 10 metres from a building in Collingwood.
- Incredible Winx obliterates field to win Cox Plate
Champion mare Winx becomes a legend with a breathtaking Cox Plate victory at Moonee Valley.
- Citizen scientists help document impact of coral bleaching
Thousands of so-called citizen scientists are putting up their hands to help scientists working hard to measure the impact on the Great Barrier Reef in the aftermath of this year's catastrophic coral bleaching.
- Perth father charged with murder of his two children
Yanchep man Jason Craig Headland is under police guard in hospital is charged with two counts of murder over the deaths of his children, aged three and five.
- Emu found wandering along Arizona highway
Motorists in the US state of Arizona get a surprise when an emu appears on a busy highway, west of the capital Phoenix.